Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Climbing on counters is so much fun

WARNING: as a parent you will spend a huge amount of your parenting effort being repetitious, repetitious, repetitious. You will say to your children, at least two dozen times a day, to get off the kitchen counter. Even if you keep two stools in the kitchen so they can reach things on the lower shelves, you will still find yourself saying, "Get off the counter." and your kids will still have logical, reasonable reasons for being on the counter. "I'm getting a cup." (And the stools?) "I want those crackers." (Remember the stools?) "I want to watch the popcorn pop in the microwave." (What about the stools?) I'm getting the plates (Nevermind the stools). Or in the bathrooms "I'm getting my toothbrush" "I'm looking in the mirror" "I'm getting a drink" (stools in there too, though one is of a different kind). And then there is the huge desire little kids have to be on the counter, where they are suddenly taller than Mom and Dad, and get to jump off into their arms. How much fun is that? Tons, apparently. Olivia would love it if I allowed her to eat her meals on the counter, and since she ends up there most times anyways at least it would be with my permission. If she'd just stop slipping and falling on her head, we could seriously discuss it.
And the truth is, I occasionally find myself on the counter too. "I can't find such-and-such spice on the top shelf" and "I'm closing the blinds to the window behind the sink" and "Didn't I put such-and-such up there?" and so on. Intersetingly, I have to use the stool to climb up on the counter to reach whatever I'm trying to get. Sooo, logically, I know we're not supposed to be on the counters (see falling on head note above), but it seems there really are realistic reasons for climbing up there. I guess its a no-win situation. Or mayber its a win-win? I don't know.

No comments: