Tuesday, June 1, 2010

In Loving Memory - Grandma Dottie B. Laws


Yesterday my Grandma passed away. She was 92 years old and had lived a long beautiful life. Her life wasn't all sunshine and roses- there were lots of thunderstorms. She married young and had 10 children, 3 of whom died in her lifetime. Her husband died 42 years ago when there were still young ones at home, but she was strong and did what needed to be done. I remember being in Kindergarten and going to school early so I could each lunch in the cafeteria and get to see her working there.
Kurt and I talked about some of our memories of her yesterday. He remembered her "giggling" at him when he was being sweet (and just a little goofy). I remember her hugs - big and warm - and her efforts to see and get to know all her grandkids and great-grandkids, and great-great grandkids, even though there are tons of us.

For many years she was a great writer and we regularly received letters from her with all the latest news. I loved when I would pick up the mail and recognize her handwriting on an envelope - a letter from Grandma!

When I was a sophmore in high school she came to one of my volleyball tournaments and sent me this note:

A couple of years ago we had a family reunion to celebrate her 90th birthday. She gave everyone a letter and the above picture of her with my Grandpa Laws. In her letter she said:

"There's one important thing I really want you all to know, 'there is a God in heaven and he will take care of you if you do what is right.'

". . . One day in Church when they sang 'Because I have been given mych' it hit me very hard. I have been given much-much-much.

". . . You have a great heritage and this I want you all to remember. I know there is a God in heaven myseteriously giving us much-much-much. Don't let it slip away.

"Oh, Lord My God, How Great Thou Art!"
I love you Grandma.

3 comments:

Katie Fox said...

that is so sweet.

Brent and Amelia said...

Thanks for the memories, Kels. I love that picture of Grandma and Grandpa together...it makes me smile. My favorite memory with Grandma was at a family reunion--we were sitting outside on a picnic table under a tree, and she was telling me stories about her life and the people she had seen come and go. I could have listened to her forever...she has lived such a life--full of ups and downs. What a strong woman!

Summer Miller said...

so sorry about your grandma. She sounds like an amazing woman.