1. Ambushing kids with shots - I always tell my kids when they are going to get a shot. Always. I HATE it when dentists/doctors don't. The only shot that is still remembered and regularly talked about in our house was an ambush shot. The nurse was trying to distract Nyah with a basket of cheap toys when the anesthesiologist came up and poked her in the arm. I couldn't believe it when it happened. I told Nyah she would be getting a shot, she understood there would be a shot - but I didn't know how they were going to do it. Today I went back to check on Austin and he was upset - they had just given him a shot and he didn't know that was going to happen. Then when I went back later just as they were going to pull his tooth they were giving him more shots - just in case, several nerves in this area, blah blah - but they didn't wait for the shots to kick in and just yanked out his tooth. All without filling him in on what was going on. Grrr.
2. Talking to kids when they have head-phones on and expecting them to hear, listen, respond, understand, etc. I think this may have been the problem with Austin's ambush shot today. Maybe they did tell him and thought he knew it was coming, but he had head-phones on and was listening to the movie. Most of the time I watch the dentists trying to talk loudly through the head-phone noise which doesn't work, they glance helplessly at me, and I remove the head-phones. Only for a minute to get the message across to my kids - I totally support the dentist's desire for docile children while having their teeth examined, cleaned, fixed, whatever.
Recent Pictures:
Having breakfast
Reading on their horses
Today was Nyah's club, and usually there are a couple boys who are tagging along with their moms and sisters for Austin to play with, but today Austin was on his own. He ended up joining our fun. We were making bead necklaces since the weather is crappy and we couldn't do the outdoor activities we originally planned.
No comments:
Post a Comment