What fun to start the day at the dentist's!! Its somewhat ironic to be going to the dentist's before Halloween. Nyah had beautiful teeth, no cavities and no tantrums about the cleaning. Austin has two small cavities--must floss more! and now its not just me saying it needs to happen, the dentist agrees. Olivia was an angel for the nurse and bit the dentist. He said kids her age really like the nurses, but cry when he comes, which she did too. She has 3 molars coming or going to come in soon, which explains why she isn't sleeping well. Jolie didn't see the dentist, but we know she has teeth coming in which is why she also isn't sleeping well.
Afterwards we went to the store where the kids picked out their Halloween costumes, i.e. the outfits they will be wearing until next Halloween. Austin will be a ninja, Nyah a go-go girl, and Olivia a princess. What is up with girl costumes? A Go-Go girl? Nyah--"Mom, what is a go-go girl?" Me--"Um, I don't know how to explain it." (NOT because I don't know of the 1960's trend of girls in miniskirts and go-go boots entertaining patrons at bars by dancing on tables and around poles, but because I don't know how to explain this to a 6 year old without it seeming fascinating and her dancing around our tables in like manner--its hard enough keeping high school musical and hannah montana out of our house as it is, anyways . . . ) Nyah--"It's a girl who says go-go." Me--"Oh, right, of course." Nyah picked it because there are ruffles around the wrists so she thought it was a cheerleader outfit and she has been running around making up cheers. "1-2-Go-Go." Thankfully the "mini skirt" of her costume is past her knees. So, I'm calling on my faithful readers for great girl costume ideas!! Any suggestions? Next year I'd like to have more to choose from than go-go girls, cheerleaders, princesses, witches, and boy costumes (earlier this month Nyah was going to be Bumblebee from Transformers, which I think would have been better than a go-go girl anyways). The world needs cool girl costumes. Empowering costumes.
Afterwards we went to the store where the kids picked out their Halloween costumes, i.e. the outfits they will be wearing until next Halloween. Austin will be a ninja, Nyah a go-go girl, and Olivia a princess. What is up with girl costumes? A Go-Go girl? Nyah--"Mom, what is a go-go girl?" Me--"Um, I don't know how to explain it." (NOT because I don't know of the 1960's trend of girls in miniskirts and go-go boots entertaining patrons at bars by dancing on tables and around poles, but because I don't know how to explain this to a 6 year old without it seeming fascinating and her dancing around our tables in like manner--its hard enough keeping high school musical and hannah montana out of our house as it is, anyways . . . ) Nyah--"It's a girl who says go-go." Me--"Oh, right, of course." Nyah picked it because there are ruffles around the wrists so she thought it was a cheerleader outfit and she has been running around making up cheers. "1-2-Go-Go." Thankfully the "mini skirt" of her costume is past her knees. So, I'm calling on my faithful readers for great girl costume ideas!! Any suggestions? Next year I'd like to have more to choose from than go-go girls, cheerleaders, princesses, witches, and boy costumes (earlier this month Nyah was going to be Bumblebee from Transformers, which I think would have been better than a go-go girl anyways). The world needs cool girl costumes. Empowering costumes.

Olivia is wearing Austin's old boots in the picture, they aren't intended to be part of the costume, though they do add that empowering twist to a princesses image. Sort of like a lot of the new princess books out there, like Goose Girl which is fabulous.

Jolie's favorite thing to do is chew on her hands, fingers, thumb, or feet. My favorite is when I catch her sucking on her big toe like its her thumb.
2 comments:
How cute is that picture with Jolie sucking on he foot. I am thankful you get to do the girl thing I am happy with my boy troubles they seem easier : )
So, I thought of the naturalist Rachel Carson, Harriet Tubman, the first woman to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel whose name I cant remember, Amelia Earhart, etc. How sad is that? Well, I don't mean the women, but that I couldn't think of any that wouldn't need a history lesson and lots of convincing arguments in order for Nyah to want to dress up as. I suggested a sister missionary and she just laughed.
Post a Comment