Because my husband didn't grow up in a LDS family he had never seen "Saturday's Warrior" and so I HAD to request it from Netflix and we watched it last night. Sort of. I'd forgotten about the sheer number of songs they sing so many of those we listened to in fast forward and I fell asleep for about 20-30 minutes in the middle and we had a few distractions (Olivia getting up from bed, taking care of Jolie, phone calls, Austin and Nyah, and so on).
He said, "It was corny at times, but overall had a good message."
At times???
Anyways, two questions he asked about it that I couldn't answer. Why is it called Saturday's Warrior? I have a feeling this may have been explained during the movie while I was sleeping or Kurt was on the phone or the other distractions I previously mentioned.
And the second question is about the Netflix description, which said that when it was first performed as a musical in the 70's the audiences found it "controversial" and Kurt wonders why. I don't know. I could guess-- a stay at home mom with 9 kids, one of the big issues focused on in the show, and it was the 70's after all. Or the audience was more a mix of non-LDS viewers so doctrinal things like pre-mortal life were controversial. Any other ideas?? (Besides hair do's and clothing, which were fashionable in the 80's when the movie was made.)
2 comments:
Actually is was the shifty clothing worn by the gang. Being a Mormon film it wasn't supposed to showcase body parts...
Well, you can tell we live in a different world nowadays--that reason didn't even cross my mind!
Post a Comment