The Film Club by David Gilmour
Synopsis: The true story of a father who lets his son drop out of high school--if he agreed to watch three movies a week with his father.
I enjoyed Gilmour's engaging writing style, and especially his humor throughout the book. It very much felt like I was sitting with him, listening to him tell his story. As a parent taking a non-traditional approach to educating my kids, I related to many of his feelings, worries about what would come of his decision to let his son leave high school. On the other hand, I don't feel like Gilmour was advocating his approach to be tried by others, or trying to tear down public education, or taking a political stand. He is just relating his experience with his son. It is amazing to see the quality of their relationship all because this father decided to take a real interest into his son and what he felt his son needed. This is especially true when contrasted with the father-teenage son relationships usually portayed by the media-- anger, frustration, rebelling, clashing against each other, etc. It was a quick read--I finished it in a day. Overall, I say thumbs up. As a warning there is profanity, and references to alcohol and sex, throughout this book.
No comments:
Post a Comment