1. Diapering in the dark. Yeah, I know, it sounds a little freaky, because it is a little freaky. Many hidden dangers. But Olivia likes to turn off the lights and isn't so cooperative when it comes to "please turn the light back on . . . please turn on the light . . . turn on the light . . . OLIVIA!!"2. Not going insane while listening to the play-by-play recount of Austin's time playing Lego Star Wars on the wii. "I did this, and I did that, and I bought this guy, and I want to buy that guy, but I didn't have enough" and so on. I DON'T CARE!! but I pretend to because its so important and exciting for him.
3. Biting my tongue, or not saying something that would cause contentious feelings. The other day Nyah asked what "nag" meant, and in the context of what she was reading it meant old, broken-down horse, but she asked what else it means, so I told her its someone who is asking someone to do something over and over until it gets done, and she said, "Oh, like you." I bit my tongue, though I was tempted to say something along the lines of "if you would do what I ask, when I ask, I wouldn't have to keep asking, and if you think I'm a bad nag I can show you what a bad one is really like." Wow, it felt good to finally get that out.
4. Not cleaning :), at least I think its a talent. I don't need to do it all through the day because once I put the books back on the shelf someone else comes along to pull them off, once I put the coloring stuff away someone else pulls it all out again, once I wipe the counter its time to eat again, once I load the dishwasher the sink is full of dirty dishes again, and so I've committed to doing things ONCE a day, and spending the rest of my time enjoying the time with my kids or on my hobbies.
5. Functioning with a 18-24 lb hip attachment that needs to be held, leaving me with one arm to do anything and everything else. I actually have two hip attachments (Olivia and Jo), and its a darn good thing they are adorable and I love them, because between the two of them I'm carrying someone around all the time.
So those are the talents my sleep deprived brain can think of right now, because I certainly haven't figured out how to fit more hours of sleep into a limited number of day hours. Wouldn't that be a great talent to figure out.
3 comments:
I have to say I love these kind of blog entries. How many times do we feel like we are the only ones going through this kind of things. So it does make me smile and feel sane to hear that it does happen to other people. So thanks and your doing a good job from my point of view.
I am very jealous of your talents...especially the one armed thing. Ruth has been wanting me to hold her all the time now, and so I feel like I don't get anything done all day because I have to sit and hold her. I need to work on that!
I never said I was doing things WELL with one hand, but I do manage to muddle through. Austin was quite surprised when I wouldn't help him get some chocolate milk while I was holding Jolie and trying to write something for Nyah (Not that I'd stir his chocolate milk for him if I did have a hand free!). Maybe in the future all moms will have three arms.
Post a Comment